Thursday, July 22, 2010

Pit Bull Killed in Kewanee Meth Lab Raid

As I was reading the news paper this morning I came across the headline Pit Bull Killed in Kewanee Meth Lab Raid. I immediately read the article expecting to read about some "viscious" Pit Bull but to my surprise this was the only statement about the Pit Bull.

"A Pit Bull inside the residence was killed by the entry team, Chief Dison said. No injuries were reported to officers or the apartments occupants. "

That. Was. It.

The rest of the article goes on to describe the four people arrested, what they found in the home, and jail and bail information. There was no reason to why the Pit Bull was killed. Did the entry team go in and shoot the dog for no reason? Was the dog attacking? We have no idea.

I can't figure out for the life of me WHY the article was even entitled the way it was. This article was obviously more about the raid then the Pit Bull being killed since there was only two sentences about the Pit Bulls death. Why wasn't it named Four Arrested after Kewanee Meth Lab Raid? To me it seems that the writer of the article thought the Pit Bull being killed was more attention getting than the actual raid its self. These are things that drive me crazy. I can't figure it out.

I'd like to know your thoughts and opinions about this. Am I over-reacting?

Read the article yourself by clicking here.

2 comments:

  1. No, you're not. Welcome to small town reporting where reporters are really bad about how to title the post. There should have been nothing in the title about the pit bull AND you're right to question, did they kill an innocent animal? Wow, this is horrible!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's been proven that adding the words "pit bull" to a news article will give the story more hits. Sad to see they're using our breed's bad reputation to sell more papers.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails