Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Prevent Death by Pit Bulls



Above is a link to the 2008 fatal dog bite statistics and, what a shock, our babies make up 65% of the bites. The stories on this site are horrific. The victims tend to be babies, small children, and the elderly. In no way am I trying to be disrespectful to those who lost their lives. It saddens me so much to think of something like that happening. I find that most of these horrific stories can be blamed on the owners of these attacking dogs. I am not in denial about the fact that Pit Bulls have attacked and can attacked, but I do know that a lot of why Pit Bulls attack is on the owner. Everyone owning a Pit Bull needs to monitor their do even if you think they're perfectly behaved. I monitor Addie when we're out and about and around other dogs. I am ALWAYS conscious to the way she is acting towards people. It's my job as her owner. If you notice your dog acting in a way that it shouldn't be, it is your responsibility to fix it. Don't be so stuck in denial that you can't see what's happening with your dog. I think that a lot of people don't want to believe their dog is aggressive, even if they see aggressive behaviors. Denial leads to attacks, attacks that COULD HAVE BEEN PREVENTED.

Side note: This isn't just for Pit Bull owners, it is for all dog owners. I think if we all keep on eye on our dogs behaviors we will have less of these fatal bites.

Most of you readers, I'm sure, already do this and have no problems. I just wanted to put my two cents in on this matter.


1 comment:

  1. I agree with you on prevention, but please don't use dogsbite.org as a source for information! The study they used pulled their stats by tallying media coverage of attacks...and if we know anything about the media it is that they don't cover any breed as much as they cover the pit bull. Just my two cents...that site's misinformation needs to be shut down.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails