Monday, February 21, 2011

I'd Like You to Meet...

Well first of all I would like to apologize for being pretty absent the past two weeks. School is keeping me very busy, you know, the usual. Don't fear though I am going to make it up to you right here and now...with a 5-for-1 I'd Like You to Meet deal! I hope you enjoy meeting these 5 adorable Pit Bulls. Now let's hear from their mom, Natalie!

I'd Like You to Meet...
Spud, Jokes, Butters, Mo and Boink

"So you want to hear about the crazy life I live with my man eating demon dogs huh? ;) This is a story of a normal girl who fell into insanity!

I guess I'll just start at the beginning of the story. Two years ago my husband and I bought a house. We knew as soon as we settled down we wanted two dogs, so off to the adoption events of a local dog rescue we went. If you can believe it, at that point in time I didn't like pit bulls. I didn't think they were as bad as everyone made them out to be, but I was always subconsciously wary of them. And I definitely never wanted one as a pet! While at the event I fell in love with Callie, our german shepherd/smooth collie mix. Right beside her kennel was a 6 month old puppy that I didn't pay much mind to. I went to ask some questions about Callie, and upon my return I discover that the next door puppy was in fact a pit bull puppy. A pit bull puppy who was being held in the arms of my husband like a baby, both of them with that "Can I keep him?" look on their faces. No, I said. No, no no, we're not getting a pit bull!

Well...once we got home with Callie and that pit bull puppy we named Spud, I started doing research. All the while I kept a closer eye on him, was always watching him. I petted him, fed him, walked him, but I wasn't lovey with him like I was Callie. Spud was determined to win me over, and worked very hard. Every morning he greeted me with kisses and tail wags when I got him out of his kennel. He slept by my feet while i was at the computer. He didn't give a hoot when my husband came home from work, but it was the best thing in the world when I walked in the door. By the time we had him two weeks he had done what he set out to do - I loved a pit bull. I read hours upon hours of pet forums and rescue sites, and between my research and Spud's patience and unconditional love, I had come to the dark side. His goofy personality had changed me. And from then on I was hooked!
 

Spud is now 2 1/2 years old. He's a full blooded american pit bull terrier, and the biggest clown you will ever meet. He has never met a human nor animal he doesn't like. He loves people. He LOVES other dogs, and cats. He helped me raise a 4 week old kitten that he found in the back yard when we first moved in. He doesn't understand when other dogs aren't his best buddy immediately, and gets sad when people turn away from him. Sadly his body hasn't been able to keep up with his spirit lately, and he had to have TPLO surgery on his right rear leg. Three month recovery period and he was back to normal...for two days. He was off restrictions right before Christmas, and now requires surgery on his other rear leg. He's definitely a summer-loving dog. His favorite activities include chasing and battling the sprinkler (he will do this for hours if you let him), playing in his pool, and attending the Minnesota Renaissance Festival to look up women's dresses. Yes, he is a pervert! He flops on his back while talking and wiggling around looking "cute". While the innocent female victim is distracted by laughter at the silly dog, he'll scoot himself under her skirt, grinning like an idiot the whole way.

We didn't intend our pack to be so large, we were fine at stopping with two. But, friends of ours starting having problems and needed us to watch their dogs. We had watched them before while they went on vacation and such over the summer of 2010. Their stay turned from weeks to months, then a year. It was obvious that they weren't going to be able to take them back, and so we adopted Jokes and Lady. 



Jokes is a 4 1/2 year old pit bull lab mix, and he is the laziest dog you will ever meet. He's also not exactly the brightest bulb on the tree if you know what I mean. But, what he lacks in brains and energy, he makes up with love and affection. He is perfectly happy spending all night curled up in your lap while you watch TV or read. He looks like whoever was making dog parts that day just gave him all the odds and ends that were left. He has super skinny, legs with tiny feet, the back of his head is a pit bull head, but has a short snout. And to top it off, he has a curly tail that no one can guess the origin of. And what  do I mean by him not being the brightest bulb? He never got the memo that growling is supposed to mean you're mad. Now I know many dogs are vocal while playing, but Jokes takes it up a notch. Or a few. He growls to say hello to people and other dogs, and he sounds like the hounds from hell when he's playing. He also thinks that to get a dog to play you need to sneak up, stick your snout in their ear and bark REALLY LOUD! Jokes' favorite activity is playing with Mr. Bill, a stuffed toy that when squeezed yells out "Ooooh noooo!" Given the option, he will carry it around and nibble on it all day and night.



At this point I just couldn't keep my hands to myself. I wanted to help this breed out.
 While I couldn't adopt any more dogs, I could foster! And so I did. This last fall I found a local pit bull rescue and started fostering for them. This is where the pittie petting zoo begins. I fostered a guy named Butters, who despite his tough looking exterior is a mush. He's much like Jokes in the energy department. He loves to wrestle with other dogs and go for walks, but he is just as happy sitting at home and hogging the couch. He also steals the covers! He was adopted out right before Christmas and got to spend the holiday with a family~ We're actually dog-sitting him for the week :) His favorite activity is trying to climb my cat's tree to say hi to her, then spends 5 minutes whining because she won't come down to play with him. (Seriously, he spends half the day laying under the tree whining up at her.)





Then there's little Mo - 35lbs of spunk! We think she's about 2 years old. As with every other dog, she's always wanting to cuddle with people. She was found tied to a flagpole outside of a vet clinic last fall, and was stuck in boarding for a couple months until our rescue stepped up to get her out. She's been an awesome foster dog and I'm gonna be sad to see her go when she does. her front paws are a little big because she walks on her heels almost. It doesn't hurt her, and it's endearing in a way. She's very gentle, even when she's trying to jump on you for attention. She will hop up on her back legs and just lightly put her front paws on you. I do discourage the behavior and have been trying to break her of it, but deep down I do think it's cute. Her favorite thing to do is one of the most "dog" things ever. Her favorite activity above everything else is eating poop. Yep, that's right, she loooves eating poop. 



And last but not least, there is Beaugaurd Bartholomew Boink, or just Boink for short.. Boink is a very chubby 2 year old pit mix of some sort. The mix part we have NO idea. Some people say they see basset hound in him, some say spaniel because of his coloring. He is the most mellow pit bull I have ever met. He is calm, gentle and the sweetest dog you will ever meet. He's got the "go with the flow" attitude perfectly (well, part of that may be because he's 5-10lbs overweight, hehe). He's my second foster dog, and pretty much my shadow. I still can't believe he's only 2 years old. He loves carrying around shoes. He never chews them, he just loves to pick them up and run around with them. He is definitely a little mischief maker. He's also a pillow stealer. Butters and he team up to steal the bed from us, Butters taking the blankets and Boink sprawling out across the pillows. 


It's pandemonium here, but I wouldn't have it any other way. I'm a pit bull lover through and through, and I don't think I'll own any other breed now :)
Pit Bulls:
There is no breed of dog more in need of our compassion; in need of our call to arms on their behalf; and in need of what should be the full force of our enduring sanctuary.


1 comment:

  1. Now that's a cool pup.

    Oh, and Happy Presidents Pets Day - the day after Presidents Day, as I like to call it. In the US, of course we love our presidents..... pets. See my blog if you’re in the mood for a good ol' irreverent howl.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails