Thursday, March 24, 2011

Prong Collars: What Do YOU Think?

Prong Collar
Do you use a prong collar on your dog? I will admit that I do use one on my Pit Bull, Addie. Now, before you freak, hear me out, please.

There are many trainers out there that say these collars are inhumane for every single dog. I must disagree with them. I think that if it should be based on a case-by-case basis. 

You see, I have always had a hard time walking Addie. She is very strong and gets quite excited when we go for walks. Before the collar, I would walk her, come home, and then have to load up on aspirin because my arm hurt from trying to keep her from pulling me down the street. 

I started to think about the fact that what if, one day, she pulled too hard and I lost her. I didn't want that to happen. 

Like many people, I was against using the prong collar. But after some thought, I decided to just try it and see if it helped at all. 

Next thing I knew, our walks were SO much more enjoyable. There was NO pulling. We were strolling down the street at a good speed (I wasn't having to power-walk to keep up with her) and she wasn't pulling to go see other people on the sidewalk. It was amazing. And the good news is, the collar wasn't hurting her at all. 

The key is to have the collar on loose enough to where the prongs are not digging in but tight enough where the dog can't slip out. When the dog is walking at normal pace and not pulling the prongs are simply laying slightly on the neck, no digging in. So when I walk Addie, she is perfectly comfortable. No pain, no suffering, just a pleasant walking experience for both of us.

Like I said earlier I think prong collars should be used on a case-by-case basis because not all dogs are the same. If Addie didn't react well to the collar I would have tried something else immediately, but it works for us. 

What do YOU think? Do you use prong collars or another type of corrective collar?

3 comments:

  1. my story mirrors yours exactly! except I come home with back pain mostly. it's to where I don't want to walk her because my back will hurt for a few days afterwards. we have taken dog training courses and still she would pull pull pull on the walk. I can't stand how the prong collar looks, but the trainer explained to me how it worked and how it was much kinder to the dog than a choke collar, which doesn't look as bad. on the trainers recommendation we tried the prong collar. she is wonderful with the prong collar - a different dog and an enjoyable walking experience for both of us. she is happy to be going for more walks now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I actually have a dog who was similar to yours.. He pulled my arm consistently, to a point where it felt as if he was going to pull my arm out of the socket. I tried these collars, he continued to pull and I was afraid it would injure him. He is now on a leather harness which works wonders. I agree with you, it needs to be decided case-by-case. In your case, there should be no complaints from others about it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay! Good comments about pinchies! There is nothing wrong with using these collars for those tough pullers. Although, I do have to admit from experience, that it is extremely hard to try and get them back to a regular buckle collar. It can be done, but it is difficult.

    Check out my blog on my pit bull that's a therapy dog! :) www.pitbulltherapy.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails