Tuesday, June 28, 2011

The Reasons I Cannot Forgive Michael Vick

Since this whole Subway Ordeal I have had several individuals ask why I can't just forgive Michael Vick. Most of us who feel this way about Vick, have been asked this question. Personally, there are so many reasons that I cannot completely explain my feelings in an average conversation. That's what this post is for. Listed below are the reasons I cannot forgive Michael Vick.

1. I have read the Lost Dogs. Below is an excerpt from the book. Most people that support Vick haven't read this book and I think they really should.


2. Michael Vick doesn't care about what he did to those dogs.


3. Yes, he is now a spokesperson for the HSUS and speaks to kids with similar life situations that he had about dogfighting, however, that is a part of his community service. It's something he is required to do.

4. Michael Vick, himself, has said that he wouldn't go back and change his life.
"I wouldn't change anything about my life if I could," he said. "As crazy as this may sound, going to prison really changed my life. I was able to go in and come out with a plan."
When I read this quote, I think about that poor dog he slammed into the ground. I can literally hear the bones breaking and the squeals in my head as I imagine it. I can also see him holding the dogs' heads in buckets of water, as they struggle to get free. I can feel the fear they experienced until they eventually stopped breathing.

Michael Vick served 19 months in prison. Many people say that he served his time, but 19 months is not enough time for what he did. Not to me anyways.

To my readers who disagree: Because this is a blog about Pit Bulls and NOT Michael Vick. I will respect your opinion as long as you respect mine. If you would like to speak with me about this matter, I would appreciate hearing from you in a respective manner. Thank you!

4 comments:

  1. I have to say I agree with you. If it was my neighbor down the street who did the things Vick did, I would not be forgiving him for it, so I feel no reason to forgive Vick just because he is a famous football player. Nothing he has done has convinced me that he truly regrets anything he did.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think its about forgiveness as much as it is about focusing on the wrong issue. As long as the focus is on Vick the dog fighters are thrilled. You are ignoring them.

    Vick went to jail and he should have. If you regret he didn't go longer the focus should be on the laws that he got around. You can't try him again for the same crimes. However, you can make it more difficult for those that come after him.

    If it was my neighbor down the street, I wouldn't be focused on the neighbor who had come back from jail, I'd be focused on the local and state ordinances/laws that allowed him to do what he did and get out of jail so quickly. I can waste my life energy hating my neighbor or I can move on and do the work that needs to be done.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I as well can not forgive Vick for his actions, would we forgive someone in our everyday life for a wrong doing of this magnitude had they not shown remorse no, I felt this way before I bought the book but feel even stronger about it now. This book was not a work of fiction and it's content can be proven as true events.
    I believe with all my heart people would not still be hanging on to there anger so strongly if he had been made to come out of such a horrible situation being handed back his life. I am one who has always believed EVERY person who is sent to prison should have to come out and REBUILD their lives from the bottom up and not be handed the keys to city's and kudos from the president as well as a sports contract, If this was the everyday man he would have left prison with a small state allowance, no job, no extra's and be made to prove himself from scratch and I think it should be that way for EVERY person no matter who or what they were before they went in ... I also will NEVER except Vick as a role model to children its like telling them, it's ok to do this, lower life forms don't matter, it's not like he killed a person and that outlook is going to raise yet another generation of kids who think it's ok to do these things if you have money in your pocket and an ability that allows you to put money in others pockets as well.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails